Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Footprints In The Sand

 My mission is drawing to a close and I've been doing a lot of reflecting on these past two years. I am posting the following poem because it rings true to me - especially during the time that I've been in full-time service of my God. 

 

  My mission has been the most difficult thing that I have ever done in my life. I can honestly say that there were so many times that I wanted to quit or give up. There were many times when I felt as if my prayers were not being answered and that I was left all alone. However, as I reflect back on these past two years, I have noticed that God has had a hand in my life in every thing that I've done. I have realized that my Heavenly Father has been with me the whole entire time and has never - not once - left me on my own. 


 -----------------------------------------------------------------

 

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only. 

 

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,

 

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

 

The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”


- Mary Stevenson

2 comments:

  1. love that poem. i remember hearing that when i was little in someone's talk and fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really ... I love this poem. How can I forget that most of the time, when I am full of sorrow, when I think that I m alone and nobody around me, My Savior carried me. ... Forget not that He is always with us. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I'd Love To Hear Your Thoughts Regarding This Blog Post: